In Ayurveda, winter is considered a Kapha and Vata season, as it is characterized by cold weather, a sense of heaviness, and dryness. Eating Ayurvedically for winter involves balancing and placating both of these doshas/energies – to help you thrive in the winter months.
When you can anticipate the kinds of illness and imbalance that you are likely to have, you can take the proper precautions to prevent them from arising.
Ayurvedic Winter Remedies
- It’s important to get at least 30 minutes of exercise during the winter.
- Have a cup of hot water with ½ tsp of turmeric powder to boost your immunity.
- One of the top Ayurvedic winter remedies is to follow a suitable diet. In winter heavy, thick, sweet, and salty foods will increase Kapha. Kapha is nourished by foods that are dry, light, warming, stimulating, bitter, pungent, and astringent. For breakfast, eat oatmeal, cream of wheat, cornmeal, barley, or tapioca. Eggs are ok during the winter as well.
- An hour after breakfast, have a tea made of ½ tsp of ginger, ½ tsp of cinnamon, and a pinch of clove. Other teas which pacify Kapha dosha are ginger, cinnamon, dandelion, chamomile, peppermint, spearmint, hibiscus, or orange peel.
- Drink hot water or tea several times a day to remove toxins from the body and to assist with recovery from a cold or congestion. Don’t consume excessive liquids with meals. This kills the Agni, or digestive fire, and impairs digestion.
- For lunch, you can have chapatti or bread, steamed vegetables, and creamy soup with ghee, and basmati rice.
- For dinner, you can have chapati, soup, and cooked vegetables with spices.
- As snacks, eat astringent fruits like apples, berries, pomegranates, cherries, peaches, and pears.
- Avoid eating too much wheat, pasta, bread, or salt.
- Limit your intake of dairy products during the winter, as they increase Kapha.
- Avoid eating just before you go to bed.
- It’s also ill-advised to nap right after you eat, as the meal won’t digest. This will create ama (toxins) in the body and cause disease.
- Drinking too many cold beverages or ice water also diminishes Agni.
Ayurvedic winter remedies will provide you with the ideal to restore balance to your life.